[torqueusers] Is resources_used.mem reliable?

Martin Thompson martin.thompson at tonkaweb.net
Mon Apr 11 18:21:38 MDT 2005

Hi there

I'm having some problems with the value of resources_used.mem as
provided by qstat -f.  Should I be able to rely on the accuracy of
this attribute?

I find that, in comparison to the output from top, resources_used.mem
is occasionally correct, but more often than not it reports a much
smaller value.  This happens with very simple single-cpu jobs and
two-cpu OpenMP jobs.  Each of these jobs have very steady memory
usage once they get up and running.

Our cluster is running SLES 9, with a vanilla 2.6.10 kernel, and
torque-1.1.0p4.  However, I have seen the same problem with
torque-1.2.0p2.

Also, I extracted just enough code from torque-1.2.0p2 to call the
resi_proc(int pid) function and it seems to report the correct value
every time.

Cheers.

Mart.