[torqueusers] submit filter

David Singleton David.Singleton at anu.edu.au
Sun Apr 3 23:04:25 MDT 2005

The problem with doing anything at the client (qsub) end is that
there is a readily available well-defined API for circumventing
any such rejections.  Rejections (and just about anything else
a user wont like such as extra resource limits) have to come from
the server to be inescapable.

David

Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:18 am, Glen Beane wrote:
>

>>Is it possible to have the qsub submit filter cause a job submission to
>>be rejected?
>

> This came up last November on the list when I suggested just this ability, and
> Dave Jackson said it would be added, but I've not yet had the time to check
> out what the return code they were using for this was. :-(
>
> Here's the archive entry:
>
> 	http://www.supercluster.org/pipermail/torqueusers/2004-November/000940.html
>
> Hmm, looking at the latest snapshot it would appear it never made it in, the
> best you can do is exit(-1) and then qsub should say there was an "error
> writing filter o/p".
>
> It should be fairly simple to patch in yourself, allocate yourself a return
> value and then instead of writing the script out on stdout from the filter
> write it to a file instead and then display it.
>
> Actually, you could possibly do it by writing out your message on stderr and
> then exiting with -1 as it appears that qsub does not redirect stderr with
> stdout.
>
> I'll test that out that second idea on our little test cluster here.
>
> cheers!
> Chris

    Dr David Singleton               ANU Supercomputer Facility
    HPC Systems Manager              and APAC National Facility
    David.Singleton at anu.edu.au       Leonard Huxley Bldg (No. 56)
    Phone: +61 2 6125 4389           Australian National University
    Fax:   +61 2 6125 8199           Canberra, ACT, 0200, Australia