[torqueusers] moms clearing their own offline status

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Oct 29 13:38:10 MDT 2004

Torque/Maui is getting so good at solving all of the bigger issues, I'm
starting to drill down into the smaller annoying ones :)

This has been bugging me for a long time now, but I've only finally figured out
to reproduce it.  I've always noticed that sometimes when I boot a node that
was marked offline, it will have the status cleared when pbs_mom starts.

Today I found that I can repeat it 100%.  It only happens when pbs_mom wasn't
shutdown cleanly or pbs_server was unreachable when it was shutdown.  You can
either bring down networking, crash the machine, or kill -9 pbs_mom, and the
mom will always be online again when it starts up.

I'm not sure where to look.  I assume this is an issue on the server.

University of Southern California