[torqueusers] PVM

Josh Lauricha laurichj at bioinfo.ucr.edu
Thu Oct 14 21:38:18 MDT 2004

This isn't quite a Torque question, but I ran into using torque so I
thought I'd ask here.

I have a 32 node cluster. From the head node, I have no problem starting
a pvm using all 32 nodes. However, from any of the nodes a few nodes
will fail to start the pvmd (the only error message is that getenv(HOME)
failed, and they are using / as the home directory). However, if I wait
a couple seconds then try to add them again it will work. So if I do
something like:

echo add `cat nodes` | pvm | grep "Can't start pvmd" | cut -b19-24 > xxx
sleep 5
echo add `cat xxx` | pvm | grep "Can't start pvmd" | cut -b19-24 > xxx
sleep 5

After a few times through it it works out fine. Of course, thats just a
nasty hack.

While I'm at it, has anyone written a wrapper to use pbsdsh as a PVM
replacement, rather than actually having rsh installed?

| Josh Lauricha            | Ford, you're turning    |
| laurichj at bioinfo.ucr.edu | into a penguin. Stop    |
| Bioinformatics, UCR      | it                      |
| OpenPG:                                            |
|  4E7D 0FC0 DB6C E91D 4D7B C7F3 9BE9 8740 E4DC 6184 |

Josh Lauricha
laurichj at bioinfo.ucr.edu