[torqueusers] Altix "array" support? [Re: Memory and process limits ]

Shinya Yarimizo shinya at hawaii.edu
Wed Nov 24 13:56:21 MST 2004

Hi Chris and All-

Thanks for your input.

> > We have just set up torque on a 32P Altix at our site and started to
> > test-drive it, and I have to say that it's running great.  However, we
> > found out that memory limit is not enforced by the system (i.e., jobs
> > that grow beyond their requested memory size just continue to run
> > instead of being terminated), and would like to know if that feature
> > is available in the Altix port.

> Hmm, isn't this part of the scheduler configuration ?

As far as I can tell, the walltime and cput resource limits are
enforced by the core torque system (i.e., jobs running longer than
advertised get terminated by torque), so I was hoping the same thing
for memory resources.

> For instance the Maui docs page gives the example:
>
> http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/a.fparameters.shtml#resourcelimitpolicy
>
>  RESOURCELIMITPOLICY  MEM:ALWAYS:CANCEL
>
>  (Maui will cancel all jobs which exceed their requested memory limits.)

I only have pbs_sched, the "fifo" scheduler, on our system, and
haven't tried Maui yet, but I think we'll be switching soon-- I'll
give your suggestion a try.

Thanks again!

-shinya.