[torqueusers] Torque patches

Marc Aurele La France tsi at ualberta.ca
Wed Nov 24 08:27:51 MST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Chris Samuel wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:02 am, Dwight Kelly wrote:
>> Hello, it's nice to see Torque being patched quickly. I'd like to ask that
>> unneccesary formatting changes not be made. It makes it very difficult to
>> identify the actual change made if other areas of the file are simply
>> reformatted.

> Actually it'd be nice to see it have some defined canonical indenting via
> 'indent' so that we go through one change that has nothing altered except
> indenting and from that point on everything (and everyone) uses that
> indentation setting.

> If you're diff'ing snapshots using a few options to ignore whitespace changes
> is useful, I use:

> diff -bBw

That would work better if GNU diff's definition of whitespace included
newlines.

But I agree with Dwight Kelly, particularly given what the code is being
reformatted to is so non-standard, reduces the effectiveness of a 24x80
screen, and, worse, given the incremental nature of these changes, hampers the
code's legibility with inconsistent formatting.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi at ualberta.ca          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |