[torqueusers] problems w/ mixed case domain names

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Nov 17 09:31:10 MST 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 02:29:49AM -0500, Michael Hanulec alleged:

> Unfortunately this snapshot doesn't seem to solve the problem... but make
> it worse.  my working configuration, after modifying /etc/hosts on the
> master node, is now broken.  'qstat', 'pbsnodes', 'qterm', & 'qmgr' all

Does it work if you change /etc/hosts back to the mixed-case name?  Did you
change the actual hostname of the machine?

> fail (the qstat and pbsnodes failures are new):
>
> [root at falcon00 server_logs]# qterm -t quick
> pbs_iff: cannot connect to host
> No Permission.
> qterm: could not connect to server  (15007)

Does the server log an unauthorized connection?

I suspect that you might need to re-initialize the pbs_server db after fixing
all mixed-case names in DNS, /etc/hosts, and the hostname of the machine.  (But
then, Dave says torque is case-sensitive now, but I'm not yet sure what that
means).

University of Southern California