[torqueusers] Re: [Mauiusers] MAXNODES broken?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Tue Nov 2 16:18:49 MST 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 07:31 am, Hyrum Carroll wrote:

>  In many cases, only a task or processor count is specified with the job and
>  the node usage limit is ineffective.

This is more of a Torque question than a Maui question, but I'd really like to
know how (with Torque) you request a certain number of tasks rather than
nodes/cpus ?

We have a longstanding problem of not being able to ask for more CPUs (in any
configuration) than the number of nodes in the cluster.  It's probably more
clear if I give an example. :-)

At the moment if I want to grab 60 CPUs at random on the cluster I can do:

 qsub -l nodes=60

and I may end up with any old configuration - which is fine, it allows users
to get in and soak up spare CPUs if they don't especially want both CPUs on
each node they get.

However, if I that number of CPUs exceeds the number of nodes in our cluster
(90) then I get the following error:

 qsub -l nodes=91
 qsub: Job exceeds queue resource limits

Not unreasonable I guess as Torque believes that I'm really asking for that
many nodes, rather than 91 of the 180 CPUs.

So, how can I ask for 91 CPUs in any arrangement on our cluster ?

cheers!
Chris