[torqueusers] Node affinity misbehaving.

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Dec 3 12:39:39 MST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 07:22:22PM +0000, Steve Traylen alleged:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 06:26:37PM -0000 or thereabouts, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > >  I have the  simple case of having particular queues should only use
> > >  particular nodes.
> > >
> > >  But I have a jobs that are going to wrong place...
> >
> > This isn't a feature of Torque, it's a feature of Maui.  Are you using maui?
> Yes.
> > If so, there's one little thing to add to maui.cfg to use this feature...
> >
> > CLASSCFG[classname]
> >
> > where "classname" is the name of the queue in torque.
>
> Hi Garrick,
>
> I found that upgrading to the latest snapshot after
> reading your mail on the maui list solved the problem.
>
> Should I still add the CLASSCFG statement for each queue?

I've always found it necessary, though only by trial and error.  Perhaps the
maui peeps can elaborate.

> I still have problems specifying multiple attributes after
>
> set server resources_default.neednodes = "sl3,bigmem"
>
> and found that I could never construct a job that found these nodes.
> though I may have the wrong syntax

I've never tried using multiple attributes like that.  Are you trying AND or OR
those attributes?

> qsub -l nodes=sl3,bigmem script.sh

I don't think this is going to work with Maui.  I think you want to just have a
single "sl3bigmem" attribute.

> For now I can cope with just setting .neednodes to a single value.
>
> Thanks for fixing my farm for me. :)

My pleasure :)

Note that this method for binding nodes to queues is NOT the recommended method
in the Maui docs.  But I think it is the best.

The docs mention using either the host acl list or standing reservations.  But
using neednodes, though still undocumented, really is the easiest and most
reliable way.

University of Southern California