[torquedev] Influencing the order of nodes in PBS_NODEFILE

Suraj Prabhakaran s.prabhakaran at grs-sim.de
Tue Sep 4 06:14:01 MDT 2012

Hi all,

I have some nodes with 2 different properties, example:

node1 fast
node2 fast
node3 slow
node4 slow

When I request nodes in this following fashion

qsub -l nodes=2:fast+2:slow

I observe the $PBS_NODEFILE does not strictly have the nodes listed in the order that was requested but its random.
For instance, a strict ordering of the nodes in the order of request would lead to $PBS_NODEFILE with content

node1
node2
node3
node4

But I observed something like

node3
node2
node4
node1

--------

The question is, is it possible to influence a strict ordering of nodes according to the request?
If not, could someone please show me some pointers to the torque code where this can be influenced?

Best regards,
Suraj