[torquedev] torque 4.1.2 login shells problem and bash -l workaround

Charles Henry chenry at ittc.ku.edu
Mon Oct 22 08:57:50 MDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

I had this issue when configuring none of those.  I also tried "--enable-shell-use-argv" but the symptom was the same.

> Also, if you need to prepend "#!$SHELL" to all your jobs, why not
> just
> do that in your submit filter?

Good idea--I'll keep that in mind as a fallback plan if I can't get it configured to run the login shells on all cluster jobs.

> FWIW, we just went to TORQUE 4.1.2 on our production NUMA system last
> week and have not seen anything like this AFAIK.  However, it's
> possible
> that we're not hitting the problem you're seeing either because of
> the
> job shell startup option we use (--disable-shell-pipe
> --enable-shell-use-argv) or because we already had something in our
> submit filter that works around the problem.  (Our submit filter
> always
> prepends "#!$SHELL" to job scripts, using either the argument to -S,
> "#!$SHELL" line in the original script, or the user's login shell.)
>
> 	--Troy

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll try adding the "--disable-shell-pipe" to the configuration.

Chuck