[torquedev] qorder command failure

Jayavant Patil jayavant.patil82 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 03:49:26 MDT 2011

Hi,

    I have experimented with both qmove and qorder commands. Internally
qorder uses pbs_movejob function and qorder is just exchanging two jobs
within two different queues. I mean to say it is not really swapping two
jobs and this can be done with the help of qmove.

    My question is what is there a separate command 'qorder' if 'qmove' does
the same function? qorder doesn't behave as per what its man page says.

Scenario:
$qstat
Job id                    Name             User            Time Use S Queue
------------------------- ---------------- --------------- -------- - -----
263.n0                     STDIN            root            00:00:00 C
abc
264.n0                     STDIN            root            00:00:00 C
batch
265.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 R
batch
266.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 R
batch
267.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
batch
268.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
batch
269.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
batch
270.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
batch
271.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q abc

I want to exchange 268 with 271.

$qorder 268 271
$qstat
Job id                    Name             User            Time Use S Queue
------------------------- ---------------- --------------- -------- - -----
264.n0                     STDIN            root            00:00:00 C
batch
265.n0                     STDIN            root            00:00:00 R
batch
266.n0                     STDIN            root            00:00:00 R
batch
267.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
batch
268.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
abc
269.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
batch
270.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
batch
271.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
batch

but actually expected result is as follows:
Job id                    Name             User            Time Use S Queue
------------------------- ---------------- --------------- -------- - -----
264.n0                     STDIN            root            00:00:00 C
batch
265.n0                     STDIN            root            00:00:00 R
batch
266.n0                     STDIN            root            00:00:00 R
batch
267.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
batch
271.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q abc

269.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q
batch
270.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q batch
268.n0                     STDIN            root                   0 Q batch

Before and after 'qorder', I checked the output of 'qstat -f 268' and 'qstat
-f 271,' the only difference was with queue, qtime and queue_rank and qmove
does the same job.
( I have tried here with the two jobs(268 & 271) which reside in two
different queues. I also tried with two jobs within the same queue but
doesn't show desired output).

Is there any solution to get the expected result?

Thanks in advance.

--

Thanks & Regards,
Jayavant Ningoji Patil