[torquedev] reordering of routing queues

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Thu Feb 24 10:11:44 MST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On 02/23/2011 03:23 PM, Martin Siegert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it appears that qmgr reorders route_destinations:
> > E.g.,
> >
> > Qmgr: p s
> > #
> > # Create and define queue default
> > #
> > create queue default
> > set queue default queue_type = Route
> > set queue default route_destinations = ql
> > set queue default route_destinations += qs
> > set queue default route_destinations += q1
> > set queue default enabled = True
> > set queue default started = True
> > Qmgr: set queue default route_destinations = q1
> > Qmgr: set queue default route_destinations += qs
> > Qmgr: set queue default route_destinations += ql
> > Qmgr: p s
> > #
> > # Create and define queue default
> > #
> > create queue default
> > set queue default queue_type = Route
> > set queue default route_destinations = ql
> > set queue default route_destinations += qs
> > set queue default route_destinations += q1
> > set queue default enabled = True
> > set queue default started = True
> >
> > I have no idea when this reordering was introduced (under
> > torque-2.4.8
> > this does appear to work correctly), but this looks like a bug to
> > me.
> >
> > The order of the route_destinations is of crucial importance since
> > torque
> > tries the queues in order and the job gets routed to the first queue
> > that
> > fits. See:
> >
> > http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/resources/docs/torque/4.1queueconfig.php#routing
> > "The ordering of the route_destinations is important. In a routing
> > queue, a job is assigned to the first possible destination queue
> > based
> > on the resources_max, resources_min, acl_users, and acl_groups
> > attributes."
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Martin

I think I know what is going on here. This is a conflict due to some code we put in to allow the environment to be overwritten without duplicating variables. This was causing crashes because it would create job environments that were like 33k characters. Obviously, this was an unintended byproduct that will be fixed. I will let you know once I figure out a way to make the two work.

--
David Beer
Direct Line: 801-717-3386 | Fax: 801-717-3738