[torquedev] Release Candidate for TORQUE 2.5.8

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Aug 24 14:31:21 MDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Ken Nielson <
> knielson at adaptivecomputing.com > wrote:
>

> There is a new release candidate for TORQUE available. This has the
> fixes for the compiler warnings with the exception of
> process_request.c, function get_creds line 288. dereferencing
> type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules.
>
> in my opinion, this is a warning that shouldn't be ignored
> indefinitely (not that anyone has suggested it). I think it would be
> good to fix before the official release. I would also add
> -fno-strict-aliasing to my CFLAGS until it were fixed.
>
> I would volunteer to the look at the code responsible for the warning,
> but I can't guarantee I would have a chance any time soon.

I tried to look at the error myself, but I didn't see any compiler warnings when I compiled the code:

$ gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.5.2-8ubuntu4) 4.5.2

I used to think that gcc warnings were a moving target (as Michael Jennings points out) because they added warnings, but it appears they also add and then remove things from the warning lists.

As far as the greater debate of whether or not gcc warnings should be enabled by default, I think it makes a lot of sense to only have developers compile with warnings enabled and let users just compile and run the code. When I'm a user, I only care about warnings that cause issues with the software. I think that this warning would have been caught as well except that it is only a warning for certain versions of gcc.

--
David Beer
Direct Line: 801-717-3386 | Fax: 801-717-3738