[torquedev] Release Candidate for TORQUE 2.5.8

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Aug 24 06:08:19 MDT 2011

----- Original Message -----

Following is the reason we disabled gcc-warnings as a defeault to the TORQUE build. When the patch was submitted the reasoning came with it. I just did not move the knowledge to the permanent memory of my brain.

In order to default to using -Werror with gcc you must explicitly override all existing CFLAGS. If a user already has the default CFLAGS setting for example of "-00 -g3 -W -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations" then they cannot build TORQUE without specifying --disable-gcc-warnings. "make distcheck" also fails unless the same flag is added to DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS. It seems more convenient to the end user to be able to build without gcc-warnings rather than error out on something most likely benign.

It is up to us as developers to make sure we develop with the gcc-warnings enabled. We also plan to start using clang and llvm. (It isn't pretty)

Regards

Ken