[torquedev] Release Candidate for TORQUE 2.5.8

Michael Jennings mej at lbl.gov
Tue Aug 23 12:04:11 MDT 2011

On Tuesday, 23 August 2011, at 06:47:51 (-0400),
Glen Beane wrote:

> You make some good points.  I hope all developers use
> --enable-gcc-warnings (it looks like some warnings did slip through
> though).  It is also helpful to have people out in the community
> reporting warnings back to the developers.

I agree.  It would be good for the Adaptive folks and other
contributors to build with warnings so that potential missteps can be
corrected early.  But it's important to keep in mind that gcc's
warning settings (defaults, groupings, and available options) change
with every release, and code that built warning-free in a previous
version will often have warnings (and sometimes even errors!) in newer
versions.  So we should endeavour to quantify expectations and targets
(and be realistic about the fact that "no warnings" is very much a
moving target).  :-)

Michael

--
Michael Jennings <mej at lbl.gov>