[torquedev] GPU Hardware

Michael Barnes Michael.Barnes at jlab.org
Thu Oct 21 10:18:34 MDT 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Ken Nielson wrote:

> We would like to know what kind of GPU hardware is deployed in your data
> centers so we can better understand what we need to do to provide GPU
> support in TORQUE.
>
> If you currently have GPUs deployed would you please reply and let us
> know the details of the hardware and any other information you think is
> relevant.

We have multiple flavors of GPUs with anywhere from 1 to 4 GPUs per node.

We manage the GPUs with resource tags on the nodes.  Our users run parallel
within and between boxes.

I guess TORQUE could do better with the ppn, nodes, vnodes, tasks, etc,
but thats a pretty big undertaking.  We have our nodes set up for exclusive
access and let them figure out the topology for their MPI jobs.  Many use
OpenMPI which does not have a direct mapping to a $PBS_NODEFILE format
for GPU or noGPU jobs.  I don't know how TORQUE could better support
different MPI topology layouts.  The specification to TORQUE would be
just as difficult as doing it yourself with a script.

-mb

--