[torquedev] Approach towards small vs. big patches (repost)

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Wed Nov 24 05:32:21 MST 2010

>> My patch is extreme in this context. I know it's huge.
> I think it may be more subtle than that, it's against the
> pbs_scheduler and I don't think many (or maybe even any)
> of us use it and so don't really feel qualified to comment
> on it.

Well the question more or less is if Torque should be just a job storage
system (as used by external schedulers) or if it should have its own logic.

What the patch is doing is improving the internal logic drastically.

> I'm certainly hesitant because (a) I'm not a coder and
> (b) I'd like someone who has looked at it to figure out
> whether it affects how other schedulers (Maui, Moab) talk
> to it.

Should be completely orthogonal. I have several confirmations that these
schedulers do indeed send very specific run commands into Torque (and
manage all resource semantics internally).

> I also think that bugzilla makes it hard to discuss patches,
> I much prefer the mailing list for that (though yes, I am
> not too good at keeping up with that either).

Bugzilla is total overkill for Torque.

There was some discussion about a Trac installation, but nothing
happened. Trac would be optimal for Torque. It's simple, has an
integrated wiki, integrated code browser and what few features are
missing are provided by plugins.

Mgr. Šimon Tóth