[torquedev] Approach towards small vs. big patches (repost)

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Wed Nov 24 05:32:21 MST 2010

>> My patch is extreme in this context. I know it's huge.
>
> I think it may be more subtle than that, it's against the
> pbs_scheduler and I don't think many (or maybe even any)
> of us use it and so don't really feel qualified to comment
> on it.

Well the question more or less is if Torque should be just a job storage
system (as used by external schedulers) or if it should have its own logic.

What the patch is doing is improving the internal logic drastically.

> I'm certainly hesitant because (a) I'm not a coder and
> (b) I'd like someone who has looked at it to figure out
> whether it affects how other schedulers (Maui, Moab) talk
> to it.

Should be completely orthogonal. I have several confirmations that these
schedulers do indeed send very specific run commands into Torque (and
manage all resource semantics internally).

> I also think that bugzilla makes it hard to discuss patches,
> I much prefer the mailing list for that (though yes, I am
> not too good at keeping up with that either).

Bugzilla is total overkill for Torque.

There was some discussion about a Trac installation, but nothing
happened. Trac would be optimal for Torque. It's simple, has an
integrated wiki, integrated code browser and what few features are
missing are provided by plugins.

--
Mgr. Šimon Tóth