[torquedev] Proposed Patch

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 12:29:50 MDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Joshua Bernstein <
jbernstein at penguincomputing.com> wrote:

> Chris Samuel wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 06:03:38 am Garrick Staples wrote:
> >
> >> I whole-heartedly agree with this position.
> >
> > Back in February Ken posted to the Torqueusers list on a thread about
> lots of
> > OK messages being logged, saying:
> >
> > # 2.4.5 seems to be a pretty stable version. I would recommend moving
> > # there. It has new features and it is where enhancements will be made
> > # in the future. The 2.3.x branch will have bug fixes only.
> >
> > Perhaps that's a good compromise position - that way 2.4 can get new
> features
> > and 2.3 can be the ultra-stable branch.  Then when 2.5 comes out it gets
> new
> > features and 2.4 goes into bug-fix only mode.
>
> I'll agree with Chris here, and say that Ken's comments make a ton of
> sense.

I think this makes a lot of sense.

We have the next version under development, released as snapshots for early
adopters or people interested in testing out new features under development

We have the latest release, which gets bug fixes and "safe" well tested
minor enhancements

We have a stable release, which only gets well tested bug fixes.

Right now 2.3.x will be the stable release, once 2.5 is out, 2.4 becomes
stable and 2.3 is deprecated (unless someone wants to maintain it forever
like Garrick and 2.1.x).