[torquedev] Mail Behavior

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Jun 16 12:43:28 MDT 2010

Yeah, its probably a bad idea to change the existing behavior of "-m n," because this would throw some people off and probably be annoying as well. However, it seems reasonable to add a setting where a user can request to never receive any mail, and explicitly document that it means the user will never receive email. We will also update our documentation to note that you will still get some emails even if you supply "-m n."

> Protip: As an administrator, su to the user before calling qdel if you
> don't
> want an email sent. Sometimes we talk ahead of time and agree to
> delete a bunch
> of jobs. The user already knows it is happening and doesn't need the
> email. If
> the user doesn't know, then I remain root specifically to trigger the
> email.

This is a fine work-around, but it does create extra work for the administrator when it would be fairly simple to allow people to request they never want email.

> $ grep -r MAIL_FORCE src | grep -v .svn
>
> --
> Garrick Staples, GNU/Linux HPCC SysAdmin
> University of Southern California
>
> Life is Good!

David Beer | Senior Software Engineer
Adaptive Computing