[torquedev] nodes, procs, tpn and ncpus

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Tue Jun 15 14:03:29 MDT 2010

On 06/10/2010 12:47 PM, Glen Beane wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Garrick Staples<garrick at usc.edu>  wrote:
>

>> The only place where we disagree is that you want to use "procs=X" where I want
>> to use "nodes=X". I see 2 major downsides: lots of coding work in torque, and
>> more confusing semantics with mixed (what does "-l nodes=X,procs=Y" mean?)
>>
> procs=X works today (with Moab, I guess Maui would need to be fixed).
> No changes needed for TORQUE, except that TORQUE doesn't know what
> procs means, it just runs the job on the nodes Moab tells it too...
>
> so if you don't care about it not working without Moab, we have this
> solution today, and it works correctly with EXACTNODE.
>
> In my opinion, I think nodes=X,procx=Y should generate a syntax error...

I have now changed my mind and agree with Glen that this is an error. My
reasoning is that to try and add it to the node spec as in -l
nodes=2:ppn=4+procs=2 is redundant. It is the same as -l nodes=2:ppn=4
-l procs=2. The later is already supported by TORQUE. TORQUE also throws
an error if the -l nodes=2:ppn=4+procs=2 syntax is used.

 From a coding point of view it is much easier to support the current
syntax. We just now need to build in the ability to parse the -l procs=x
and translate it into usable processors for the job.

Ken