[torquedev] Torque Semantics

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Tue Jun 15 03:51:08 MDT 2010

>  > For example requests like -l mem=1G are ignored during
>  > the scheduling process, but enforced on the node.
>
> I can't help but think whether the effort on bringing
> pbs_sched up to date with these sorts of things would
> be better spent on bringing in and maintaining Maui as
> the default scheduler instead; especially as I believe
> it handles this already.

This was not about improving pbs_sched and making it up to date with
Maui features (that's actually a very stupid idea). This was about
documenting the Torques behaviour (server + qrun). I think that the
an in some cases even ambiguous.

I haven't used Maui, but I'm pretty sure that if Maui would be the
Torques scheduler we would be using Slurm right now instead of Torque.
Major reason being that Maui is designed around the limitation that each
server can have only one scheduler.

Plus having Maui as a default scheduler would eliminate any development
effort in Torque. Maui is using Torque server just as job storage.

--
Mgr. Šimon Tóth