[torquedev] nodes, procs, tpn and ncpus

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Fri Jun 11 11:16:52 MDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:26:18PM +1000, Christopher Samuel wrote:

>    On 11/06/10 04:27, Martin Siegert wrote:
>    > I am with Glen: nodes=X is just an abbreviation for
>    > nodes=X:ppn=1 - it alwasy has been that way.
>    First I've heard of it, I've never seen that behaviour
>    from Torque and we always used that (with the nodect hack)
>    to let people request X cores on clusters (up until procs
>    was introduced).

But with the nodect hack nodes=N behaves exactly like nodes=X:ppn=1:
In that case the meaning of nodes=X:ppn=y is: "give me X*y processors
distributed over nodes such that on each node any multiple of y
processors is allocated." Consequently nodes=X:ppn=1 is the same as
nodes=X. The huge problem was that none of our users who specified
nodes=X:ppn=1 understood this behaviour and expected the "EXACTNODE"
behaviour.

Cheers,
Martin