[torquedev] nodes, procs, tpn and ncpus

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 13:11:59 MDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 02:47:47PM -0400, Glen Beane alleged:
>> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
>>

>> > The only place where we disagree is that you want to use "procs=X" where I want
>> > to use "nodes=X". I see 2 major downsides: lots of coding work in torque, and
>> > more confusing semantics with mixed (what does "-l nodes=X,procs=Y" mean?)
>>
>> procs=X works today (with Moab, I guess Maui would need to be fixed).
>> No changes needed for TORQUE, except that TORQUE doesn't know what
>> procs means, it just runs the job on the nodes Moab tells it too...
>>
>> so if you don't care about it not working without Moab, we have this
>> solution today, and it works correctly with EXACTNODE.
>>
>> In my opinion, I think nodes=X,procx=Y should generate a syntax error...
>
> I thought the point of this discussion is to find a solution that was
> recognized by torque.

and you were talking about having to modify maui and moab...  your
solution relied on the scheduler reinterpreting what the user requests
(user asks for X nodes, i'll give them X processors packed instead).
TORQUE doesn't have way built-in to request "X processors anywhere".
We're talking about adding that.  Your solution does not do that - it
still requires Maui/Moab.