[torquedev] nodes, procs, tpn and ncpus

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jun 9 19:01:31 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 08:52:08PM -0400, Glen Beane alleged:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
> > I know I'm getting in on this conversation late, but here is my fantasy:
> >
> > nodes=X gives X number of cpus. Packed. Your job is CPU bound and you don't
> > care how they are packed.
>
> blah.  that is overloading the meaning of nodes.  I like the new
> procs=X instead. It basically means the same thing,  you get X
> processors, moab seems to pack them on as few nodes as possible.
> TORQUE doesn't do anything with procs yet...

Nothing is overloaded. "nodes" has always translated to "vnodes" inside of
torque. If you don't specify ppn, then you don't care about where your
processors land. Perfectly logical. This case also covers the vast majority of
jobs.

> > nodes=X:ppn=Y gives you X unique nodes with Y cpus per machine. Not-packed.
> > This lets you spread IO around because you know you need it.
>

> here is what I want
>
> procs=X gives you X processors, user doesn't care about layout (hack that
> works with Moab, should be made to work properly with pbs_sched/qrun)
> nodes=X:ppn=Y gives you exactly X unique nodes with Y processors per node
> nodes=X - I'm not sure about this one, but to preserve historic behavior I
> think TORQUE should give you X nodes with one processor on each node (Moab
> can have an option to treat it like procs=X, which is the current behavior)

Getting torque to jive procs with nodes is a lot more work.

My plan is easy, simple, and I think covers everyone's use cases.

Everyone has always wanted "gimme X cores, anywhere". The solution is to not
use EXACTNODE and "nodes=X" does what you want. But EXACTNODE breaks the
"nodes=X:ppn=y" case. If we just change maui/moab to not pack jobs with ppn,
then we are done.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!