[torquedev] nodes, procs, tpn and ncpus

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 18:52:08 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:
> I know I'm getting in on this conversation late, but here is my fantasy:
>
> nodes=X gives X number of cpus. Packed. Your job is CPU bound and you don't
> care how they are packed.

blah.  that is overloading the meaning of nodes.  I like the new
procs=X instead. It basically means the same thing,  you get X
processors, moab seems to pack them on as few nodes as possible.
TORQUE doesn't do anything with procs yet...

> nodes=X:ppn=Y gives you X unique nodes with Y cpus per machine. Not-packed.
> This lets you spread IO around because you know you need it.

here is what I want

procs=X gives you X processors, user doesn't care about layout (hack
that works with Moab, should be made to work properly with
pbs_sched/qrun)
nodes=X:ppn=Y gives you exactly X unique nodes with Y processors per node
nodes=X - I'm not sure about this one, but to preserve historic
behavior I think TORQUE should give you X nodes with one processor on
each node (Moab can have an option to treat it like procs=X, which is
the current behavior)