[torquedev] nodes, procs, tpn and ncpus

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Jun 9 08:49:02 MDT 2010

On 06/09/2010 08:37 AM, Martin Siegert wrote:

>> tpn can be used like ppn and it will be interpreted to mean use exactly x processors from each node.
>> A node spec of nodes=2:tpn=2 will allocate two processors on one node and two processors on a separate node.
>>
> We have never used "tpn", what does it stand for? As mentioned above, this
> would be a big change for us.

tpn is total processors per node or exact processors per node. For
instance the node spec -l nodes=2:tpn=2 would request two separate hosts
and exactly two processors per host.

ppn on the other hand allows a single node to actually satisfy a
request. Using the example above -l nodes=2:ppn=2 could be satisfied on
a single node with 4 processors.

Ken