[torquedev] nodes, procs, tpn and ncpus

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Wed Jun 9 08:18:06 MDT 2010

>> nodes=x will mean the same as procs=x.
>
> I don't think this should be the case... Moab reinterprets it to mean
> the same thing, but historically with PBS that is not how has been
> interpreted.

Plus PBSPro has a strong distinction between processes and cpus.

-l nodes=2:ppn=3:ncpus=4

- you get two nodes with 3 processes on each node, and each process will
get 4 cpus

>> nodes=x:ppn=x will work as it currently does except that the value for nodes will not be ignored.
>
> what do you mean the value for nodes will not be ignored???  The value
> for nodes is NOT ignored now.

Yes, they aren't ignored.

> gbeane at wulfgar:~> echo "sleep 60" | qsub -l nodes=2:ppn=4,walltime=00:01:00
> 69792.wulfgar.jax.org
> gbeane at wulfgar:~> qrun 69792
> gbeane at wulfgar:~> qstat -f 69792
>     exec_host = cs-prod-2/3+cs-prod-2/2+cs-prod-2/1+cs-prod-2/0+cs-prod-1/3+cs
> 	-prod-1/2+cs-prod-1/1+cs-prod-1/0
>     Resource_List.neednodes = 2:ppn=4
>     Resource_List.nodect = 2
>     Resource_List.nodes = 2:ppn=4

Beware that when using qrun the servers behaviour is very weird. I'm not
sure if the nodespec isn't ignored entirely and the job is simply run on
the first node in the list.

> lets keep the historic meaning of these things.  Ignore how Moab can
> be configured to reinterpret them.  People use TORQUE without Moab.
> Fix things that are completely ignored by TORQUE,  wait for select to
> implement new behaviors.

A lot of people use TORQUE without Moab/Maui. Plus I think that every
change should keep Torque as much compatible with PBSPro as possible.

--
Mgr. Šimon Tóth