[torquedev] nodes, procs, tpn and ncpus

Ken Nielson knielson at adaptivecomputing.com
Wed Jun 9 06:57:26 MDT 2010

Currently when TORQUE is asked to run a job with qrun it interprets the nodes=x as only a single node. Glen, if you look at listelem and node_spec you will see this is the case. TORQUE also ignores procs and ncpus.

I am going to modify TORQUE so it will process these resources more like we expect.

procs=x will mean give me x processors anywhere.

nodes=x will mean the same as procs=x.
nodes=x:ppn=x will work as it currently does except that the value for nodes will not be ignored.
That is a node spec of -l nodes=2:ppn=2 will look for two nodes with two available processors. This can be satisfied on the same host or different hosts. Currently this node spec will only get two processors on a single node.

ncpus=x will allocate x processors to a single task. They must be on the same host.

tpn can be used like ppn and it will be interpreted to mean use exactly x processors from each node.
A node spec of nodes=2:tpn=2 will allocate two processors on one node and two processors on a separate node.

I am interested in your input.

Thanks

Ken