[torquedev] Build Problems

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Jul 23 18:39:19 MDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 05:27:11PM -0700, Michael Jennings alleged:
> I think David re-committed buildutils/ltmain.sh by accident.  This is
> an autogenerated file, and the build will break if the libtool pulled
> in by autoreconf doesn't match the ltmain.sh that's there.
>
> Also, src/include/pbs_config.h.in is autogenerated and should be
> removed as well.

Fixed and fixed.

> And I discovered that I needed to unset my CFLAGS variable in order to
> run "make distcheck" due to -Werror being the default.  Unless you
> specify exactly which warnings you turn on, this can result in build
> failures caused by someone (like me) employing -W flags that the
> developers don't (which I do).  In the specific case of "make
> distcheck," the only way around this is to edit the Makefile.am to add
> --disable-gcc-warnings to the DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS or specifying
> it as part of the make distcheck command line.  I assume this is being
> done to catch more errors, but it may be less confusing to users if
> the developers themselves select a set of warning flags they care
> about and then limit -Werror usage to their own testing and
> certification builds.  Just a thought...

I think the use of -Wall -Werror has been very good for us. It catches little
errors slip by because what is only a warning on one platform is actually an
error on another platform.

I care about nearly all warnings. And I care about future types of warnings in
future compiler releases. I specifically exempt a few warnings (-Wno-long-long)
for ones that I don't care about it, but I want everything else watched.

So... what warning did you see? Have a patch yet?

University of Southern California

Life is Good!