[torquedev] autogen on freebsd

Michael Jennings mej at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 23 17:48:54 MDT 2010

On Friday, 23 July 2010, at 16:29:46 (-0700),
Garrick Staples wrote:

> How do I generate new autotools files on freebsd? The tools aren't installed as
> 'autoconf', 'aclocal', etc. They are 'autoconf259, 'aclocal19', etc. The
> freebsd autoreconf259 fails because it can't find aclocal.
>
>   Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /usr/local/share/autoconf259/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 288.
>
> If I run the tools by hand, it still fails with a libtool error.
>
>   configure.ac:1331: the top level
>   configure.ac:218: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
>
> And libtoolize keeps telling me to run aclocal (no matter how many times I run aclocal).

That last thing is pretty normal for older incarnations of libtool and
the autotools like you seem to have on FreeBSD, but you can safely
ignore it.

Depending on how old the autotools are, you may need to use
AM_PROG_LIBTOOL instead of AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.  It should still be there
in the newer versions for compatibility.  That error could also
indicate failure of libtoolize.

If it helps, here's the autogen.sh I use for Eterm.  It allows you to
set, e.g., $ACLOCAL to specify the name of the actual command.  This
is useful in situations such as above where aclocal is actually
aclocal19.  I'm told it works on FreeBSD (and other BSD's) as well as
MacOS X, though I don't use them myself.

Also, since you're storing your .m4 files in buildutils/, I think
you'll need to pass "-I buildutils" to aclocal.

HTH,
Michael

--
Michael Jennings <mej at lbl.gov>