[torquedev] missing file checks

Michael Jennings mej at lbl.gov
Thu Jul 22 19:37:31 MDT 2010

On Thursday, 22 July 2010, at 17:58:20 (-0700),
Garrick Staples wrote:

> So that we are all working with the same set of generated files?
>
> Most people don't want to bother with this stuff anyways. Most would
> rather just work on the code.
>
> Is there a downside to committing generated autotools files?
>
> (and I use autoreconf to generate these files)

The downside is that if someone needs to make a change to Makefile.am,
and re-generates Makefile.in with a different version of automake,
there will be significant sludge in the resulting changeset.  And if
someone else has done the same thing locally, or is trying to maintain
local changes that involve modifications to Makefile.am (or
configure.ac), they will end up with conflicts.

That's the practical reason; there's also the (largely philosophical)
argument of not polluting or wasting space in the repository or the
changeset diffs for unnecessary/reproducible files.

Of course, the upside is that you never have to worry about
maintaining compatibility with whatever version of autotools still
come with RHEL4 and 5, or any other particular distro. :-)

Anyway, I was just curious.  Never seen it done before and wanted to
know the motivation. :)

Michael

--
Michael Jennings <mej at lbl.gov>