[torquedev] missing file checks

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Jul 22 18:58:20 MDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 05:54:25PM -0700, Michael Jennings alleged:
> On Thursday, 22 July 2010, at 16:51:36 (-0700),
> Garrick Staples wrote:
>
> > I've added checks to 'make dist' (and distcheck) to look for missing
> > files.  README.* and every file in contrib must now exist in the
> > distribution tarball or an error is generated.
>
> I realize I'm not a developer, but if I may ask:  What is the
> rationale for having Makefile.in and other auto-generated files
> committed to the SVN repository?  Usually these files are omitted, and
> a script such as autogen.sh or autoreconf is used instead.

So that we are all working with the same set of generated files?

Most people don't want to bother with this stuff anyways. Most would rather
just work on the code.

Is there a downside to committing generated autotools files?

(and I use autoreconf to generate these files)

University of Southern California

Life is Good!