[torquedev] 2.5 Release

"Mgr. Šimon Tóth" SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Thu Jul 15 04:05:44 MDT 2010

>> Btw. what about switching to Git? SVN to Git switch
>> should be pretty much painless.
>
> Whilst I really like Git I suspect that the learning curve
> for the CR/AC developers might be rather steep, it is
> a very different way of thinking about things with no
> single truth and takes a while to get your hear around it!

Well, there is some learning involved, but I wouldn't consider it a huge
issue. The hardest thing is to choose the right workflow.

> The plus side is that using something like Gitorious
> would mean we could all have our own trees and ask
> AC to pull change sets or branches from us into their
> mainline version.  Would make things a lot more open!

I would personally consider even bigger plus that there could be some
very sane branching and merging strategy. I'm not sure what the current
one is, but it doesn't look very consistent to me.

>> Git saves me personally a lot of time.
>
> Agreed, but I'm just using git svn against the current
> SVN repo and doing "git svn rebase" to pick up new
> changes.

Well, I'm maintaining a full fork of Torque in Git :-D
(still searching for the best workflow though)

Plus I'm using Git on many other things.

--
Mgr. Šimon Tóth