[torquedev] Different behavior in executing the job-script

Dr. Stephan Raub raub at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Jul 14 08:31:44 MDT 2010

Dear Developers,

We are using Torque 2.3.7 on a cluster with CentOS5.4. We found a quite
different behavior how the moms (or qnodeds) start the submitted
job-scripts, depending on if a shebang is given or not.

For example: Have a look at this simple (and useless) job-script:

<script>
#!/bin/bash
#PBS -l walltime=00:59:00
#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=1
#PBS -l pmem=1gb
#PBS -N testjob1
#PBS -A BenchMark

export RUNDIR=$PBS_O_WORKDIR
cd $RUNDIR
sleep 60
</script>

After submission I can go to the execution host and find the following
process structure (from pstree –p):

pbs_mom(5320) -> bash(25743) ->  2919.XXX(25836) -> sleep(25848)

If I now leave away the shebang I find a completely different situation
(again pstree –p on the execution host):

pbs_mom(5320) -> bash(26082) ->  bash(26172) ->  sleep(26184)

The difference is that now not a script named [jobid].[host].SC is executed
but just an unnamed bash-process.

Is there a reason for this behavior? And how is a script without a shebang
handled that is not written in bash (but e.g. in c-shell)?

Thank You in advance for an answer.

Best regards!

Stephan
| | Dr. rer. nat. Stephan Raub
| | Dipl. Chem.
| | Lehrstuhl für IT-Management / ZIM
| | Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf Universitätsstr. 1 /
| | 25.41.O2.25-2
| | 40225 Düsseldorf / Germany
| |
| | Tel: +49-211-811-3911

Wichtiger Hinweis: Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse,
bzw.
sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail
irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine
Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte
benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen
Dank.

Important Note: This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged,
undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this
e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or
distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and
destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.