[torquedev] TORQUE 2.5 beta is here!

Baer, Troy tbaer at utk.edu
Thu Jul 8 07:53:15 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 10:51 -0600, David Beer wrote:
> We're pleased to announce that TORQUE 2.5 beta is ready for testing.
> It can be downloaded here:
>
> http://www.clusterresources.com/downloads/torque/snapshots/torque-2.5-beta_0.20100702.tar.gz
>
> The biggest features for 2.5 are massive improvements to the arrays
> feature and native support for procs. By native support for procs, I
> mean that if you qsub -l procs=2, and then do a qrun, you'll get 2
> procs instead of TORQUE treating it as nodes=1:ppn=1.
>
> Please see the README.array_changes file for explanations of the new
> features and how to use them. Glen and I have tested these features as
> much as we can and we're confident in them, but we wanted to do some
> more beta testing before officially releasing 2.5. Thank you to all
> those who participated in the first round of beta testing. We ask for
> your help in solidifying this product and moving us towards the
> official release!

I tried this beta release briefly on an SGI UV early-access system
running SLES 11 and ran into the following:

1.  Installing the SLES libcap-devel and pam-devel RPMs were required to
build this version of TORQUE, which was not the case with earlier
versions.  Particularly vexing is pam-devel, as I had explicitly
disabled PAM support at configure time and yet pam-devel was required to
link pbs_mom.

2.  There appears to be no way to disable whatever feature turns on the
C compiler flag -DUSEJOBCREATE -- is that intentional?

3.  On my UV, I run pbs_server and pbs_mom on the same host.  For some
reason, pbs_server on the UV could not talk to pbs_mom on the UV and
thus though it was down.  This was not the case with earlier releases,
so I fell back to the 2.4.5 build I had been using previously.

	--Troy
--
Troy Baer, HPC System Administrator
National Institute for Computational Sciences, University of Tennessee