[torquedev] new server attribute: query_group_jobs

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Jan 26 11:56:33 MST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 05:49:54PM +0100, Michael Meier alleged:
> The attached patch adds a new server attribute "query_group_jobs". It
> works like "query_other_jobs", except it only allows users to view jobs
> of users that have the same primary group as themselves.
> This is a feature requested by quite a few of our users. Of course, what
> they really want is query_other_jobs=true, but that is not acceptable
> due to privacy reasons. So showing only the users group (usually the
> same chair or workgroup) is a good compromise for us.
>
> The patch is against torque 2.4.4 and might require some cleanup before
> inclusion in torque - question is, is anybody besides us interested in
> this feature?

I definitely like the idea and the patch is very nice and clean. I like that
the case of query_other_jobs=T and query_group_jobs=F does what you'd expect.

The only problem is the actual comparison function. It doesn't use the group
info already associated with the job and only compares primary GIDs. Extending
it to secondary GIDs would be very useful but expensive.

Rather than lookup the job owner's gid from the pwd entry, just use
pjob->ji_wattr[(int)JOB_ATR_egroup].

Since the requestor can't select an effective gid, all secondary groups should be used to compare.

Maybe, if acl_group_sloppy=T, then also look at the job owner's secondary groups.

The group ACL code in svr_jobfunc.c would be a good place for inspiration.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!