[torquedev] Confused about processes again

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sun Feb 28 00:01:58 MST 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 06:40:12 pm Simon Toth wrote:

> My problem is that our users also require node-exclusive jobs. Such jobs
> always use the whole node regardless of the amount of resources they
> actually use (for example I/O heavy jobs use this).

Two options that I've used in the past:

1) Make the user who needs the whole node request all the CPUs with (say):

qsub -l nodes=1:ppn=8

2) Define a default pmem or pvmem memory request for all queues and then have
the user who needs a whole node to submit a job that requests the amount of
RAM that is available.  For instance when I was at VPAC we had a system that
was uniformly 4GB per core, so we had a default pmem of just under 4GB.

Our accounting system then scaled their usage (cores*hours) if they had
exceeded that figure (as there would be cores unavailable to other users, so
whilst they weren't running code on them they were effectively occupying
them).

cheers!

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP