[torquedev] Confused about processes again

Simon Toth SimonT at mail.muni.cz
Fri Feb 26 00:40:12 MST 2010

>>         >> I'm still battling the processes support in Torque. I can't
>>         make heads
>>         >> or tails of it. What is the correct semantics?
>>         >>
>>         >> - when can a node accept a shared job?
>>         >> - when can a node accept an exclusive job?
>>         >
>>         > Jobs aren't shared or exclusive. Nodes are.
>>
>>         What I was referring to was shared vs. exclusive requests:
>>
>>         qsub -l nodes=1:ppn=2#shared
>>
>> I have never seen anyone do this
>
> It's been more than 10 years since I saw anybody do that.  It was needed
> back in the days before OpenPBS added the :ppn=N component of the nodes
> resource, but those days are loooooong past.

This is making my head ache :)

OK then, I will have to give it a thought.

My problem is that our users also require node-exclusive jobs. Such jobs
always use the whole node regardless of the amount of resources they
actually use (for example I/O heavy jobs use this).

My current approach is using the #shared for normal jobs and exclusive
for node-exclusive jobs, with only one process on each node and cpus
stored as resources on each node. But this approach makes few
incompatible changes into the node search/checking logic of the server.

--
Mgr. Simon Toth