[torquedev] Confused about processes again

Troy Baer tbaer at utk.edu
Thu Feb 25 12:03:12 MST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 13:53 -0500, Glen Beane wrote:
> 2010/2/25 Simon Toth <SimonT at mail.muni.cz>
>         >> I'm still battling the processes support in Torque. I can't
>         make heads
>         >> or tails of it. What is the correct semantics?
>         >>
>         >> - when can a node accept a shared job?
>         >> - when can a node accept an exclusive job?
>         >
>         > Jobs aren't shared or exclusive. Nodes are.
>
>         What I was referring to was shared vs. exclusive requests:
>
>         qsub -l nodes=1:ppn=2#shared
>
> I have never seen anyone do this

It's been more than 10 years since I saw anybody do that.  It was needed
back in the days before OpenPBS added the :ppn=N component of the nodes
resource, but those days are loooooong past.

	--Troy
--
Troy Baer, HPC System Administrator
National Institute for Computational Sciences, University of Tennessee