[torquedev] 2.4-fixes branch getting new features

Joshua Bernstein jbernstein at penguincomputing.com
Fri Feb 19 15:14:40 MST 2010

Glen Beane wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu
> <mailto:garrick at usc.edu>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 02:49:36PM -0700, Ken Nielson alleged:
>      > Glen Beane wrote:
>      > > I've noticed some new features going into the 2.4-fixes branch.
>      > > Didn't we all agree that only bug fixes go into 2.3.X, 2.4.X
>      > > releases?  I think new features should wait for 2.5.0
>      > >
>      > >
>      > Glen,
>      >
>      > I know I have told people that 2.3.x is definitely only bug fixes.
>      > 2.4-fixes should also only be bug fixes as well with new features and
>      > enhancements going into 2.5. I just read the change log and we have
>      > added 3 minor features. We will leave these for 2.4.6 and then
>     keep new
>      > features in the trunk.
>
>     I think minor, low-risk, well-encapsulated items are OK.
>
>     There's no point in making everyone wait on 2.5 for easy and useful
>     stuff.
>

> ok, if that is the consensus of the community... I can live with minor
> well encapsulated stuff, but we have been bitten a few times where a bug
> was introduced or a default behavior changed in a "bug-fix" release.
>
> It is comforting to know when you download a new 2.3.x or 2.4.x that
> there are no new features that could introduce additional bugs and the
> latest in a series should be the most stable and bug free

I agree with Glen here. I, as well as several of my customers have been bitten
by new feature bugs in bug fix releases. I am encouraged that Adaptive Computing
is putting resources behind TORQUE once again, but I hope that QA efforts are
also increased.

-Joshua Bernstein
Senior Software Engineer
Penguin Computing