[torquedev] 2.4-fixes branch getting new features

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 15:01:08 MST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 02:49:36PM -0700, Ken Nielson alleged:
> > Glen Beane wrote:
> > > I've noticed some new features going into the 2.4-fixes branch.
> > > Didn't we all agree that only bug fixes go into 2.3.X, 2.4.X
> > > releases?  I think new features should wait for 2.5.0

> > Glen,
> >
> > I know I have told people that 2.3.x is definitely only bug fixes.
> > 2.4-fixes should also only be bug fixes as well with new features and
> > enhancements going into 2.5. I just read the change log and we have
> > added 3 minor features. We will leave these for 2.4.6 and then keep new
> > features in the trunk.
>
> I think minor, low-risk, well-encapsulated items are OK.
>
> There's no point in making everyone wait on 2.5 for easy and useful stuff.

ok, if that is the consensus of the community... I can live with minor well
encapsulated stuff, but we have been bitten a few times where a bug was
introduced or a default behavior changed in a "bug-fix" release.

It is comforting to know when you download a new 2.3.x or 2.4.x that there
are no new features that could introduce additional bugs and the latest in a
series should be the most stable and bug free