[torquedev] max_user_queuable broken in 2.4.8 ?

Chris Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Dec 26 04:47:11 MST 2010

Hi folks,

We're currently running 2.4.8 (no chance to upgrade for
the forseable future) and we've just had a couple of users
submit around 40,000 jobs in total.

Moab 5.4.2 has completely choked on this and has become
very slow to respond.  We can't upgrade to 6.0 yet so I'm
trying to limit the number of jobs users can submit.

I can see the Torque docs refer to a queue attribute of
max_user_queuable and I've set that to 4000 on both our
queues but I can still submit jobs as one of the offending
users who has 18,000 jobs in the queue currently.

# qmgr -c 'p s' | grep max_user_queuable
set queue batch max_user_queuable = 4000
set queue smp max_user_queuable = 4000

[naughty at bruce-m ~]$ echo sleep 60 | qsub
Warning: you did not specify a shell in the first line of your PBS script
We have assumed you wish to use bash, however please update your script with a
valid shell

473550.bruce-m.vlsci.unimelb.edu.au
[naughty at bruce-m ~]$ qstat 473550
Job id                    Name             User            Time Use S Queue
473550.bruce-m            STDIN            naughty                0 Q batch

That message about bash comes from our submit filter, and
I've changed the username to protect the guilty.

Any ideas ?

Christopher Samuel          Senior Systems Administrator
          http://www.vlsci.unimelb.edu.au/