[torquedev] Trunk And Multithreading

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 10:11:56 MST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:07 PM, David Beer
<dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com> wrote:

>> while it is OK to put pretty big changes into trunk and temporarily
>> break things, these changes have the potential for introductions some
>> stability issues that may be _very_ hard to track down. It is common
>> convention to keep these types of "experimental" changes out of trunk
>> until they are better tested.
>
> Can I just remind you that all of these changes are only enabled if you configure with --enable-pthreads? If there is some case where the trunk needs to be used, and there are stability issues, then it can be used. Just don't enable the threads.
>
> Just to clarify, this is not an experimental change. Making TORQUE multi-threaded is one of the major objectives for TORQUE 4.0.

I like the model we used for the major job-array changes where they
were developed in a branch and folded back in when they were stable,
but if TORQUE 4.0 will be delayed until multi-threading is rock solid
then I can live with it in trunk.  I think rushing this will be a big
mistake, and I'm sure you have no such plans, but sometimes there are
pressures to get a release out the door before it is really ready...

I'd like to think a little about the resizable array and out of order
jobs issue, although that is minor at this point - stability is
definitely higher priority.