[torquedev] [torqueusers] TORQUE 3.0.0 Released

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Dec 8 11:22:24 MST 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 11:02:50AM -0700, Ken Nielson alleged:
> On 12/08/2010 10:45 AM, Glen Beane wrote:
> >
> > Hey Ken, thanks for laying out some of the road map.  My only comment
> > right now is that if TORQUE 3.1 is incompatible with 3.0 then
> > traditionally we would call it 4.0.  Currently our standard is that
> > any incompatible change in protocol results in a major version bump.
> >
> I do not have a problem with that. Some have commented on this list that
> minor versions do not need to be backward compatible. However, a change
> as large as what we plan for 3.1 might be better served by calling it 4.0.

Please do keep major versions compatible so that rolling upgrades work without a problem.

x.y.z where:
   x incompatible changes, rolling upgrades are no longer possible
   y major new features, backwards compatible, might need new configuration
   z bug fixes, perhaps minor new features, drop-in replacement

University of Southern California

Life is Good!