[torquedev] [torqueusers] Question about what does PBS_NUM_NODES and PBS_NUM_PPN means

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:26:20 MST 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM, David Beer <dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com> wrote:

>> the customer isn't always right ;)
>>
>> really, I don't think we should pollute the codebase with hacks for
>> specific customers when there may be a better more general way to do
>> something that will have wider use
>
> I also wish that every time I had to solve a problem for a customer I had time to flush the idea out with the community, discover the best, most widely applicable solution, and then code that. Unfortunately, that is rarely the case. I believe we've made strong efforts to get the community more involved - I know we still can improve in this - but situations will always arise that just need to be fixed. It's not ideal but it happens.

maybe we could keep those type of changes in a branch, or maybe give
that customer a patch to solve their immediate need while we work on a
more robust solution to push into torque?  I'm not saying things will
be perfect,  but adding lots and lots of quick-fixes to satisfy a very
small number of sites makes the code more complicated and harder to
maintain.