[torquedev] changelog inconsistencies

David Beer dbeer at adaptivecomputing.com
Mon Aug 16 09:34:51 MDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
> I've been working in 2.5-fixes and trunk and I have noticed some
> changelog inconsistencies, can some other developers help me clean
> this up?
>
> first,
>
> in 2.5-fixes, this is in the 2.5.2 section:
>
> e - Allow the nodes file to use the syntax node[0-100] in the name to
> create identical nodes with names node0, node1, ..., node100.
> (also node[000-100] => node000, node001, ... node100)
>
> in trunk, this is in the 2.5.1 section
>
> e - Allow the nodes file to use the syntax node[0-100] in the name to
> create identical nodes with names node0, node1, ..., node100.
> (also node[000-100] => node000, node001, ... node100)
>
> so when was this change made, 2.5.1 or 2.5.2?

This has been fixed, the change was made in 2.5.2 according to svn's log.

> you'll see that a lot of changes listed in section 2.5.2 of the
> changelog from 2.5-fixes are missing from the trunk changelog. If
> these changes have been merged into trunk then the changelog entry in
> section 2.5.2 needs to get merged too. If they haven't been merged,
> we should get that does as soon as possible. Fixes made in 2.5-fixes
> should get made in trunk as soon as possible if they are applicable.

These are now synced I believe.

> Also, i've seen a change listed in the 2.5.2 section and then also
> listed as being "merged from 2.5-fixes" in the 2.6.0 section in the
> same changelog. Since 2.6.0 hasn't been released, it is sufficient to
> list the change as occurring in version 2.5.2 - it is assumed that
> when 2.6.0 is released it will have this modification. When a fix is
> made in multiple versions at the same time I like to record the change
> in the branch with the highest RELEASED version number, and then in
> the branch with the lower version number I make a note of the
> backport. Here is why:
>
> Say you are making the same fix in versions 2.6.2 and 2.5.8, and you
> want to record the change in the changelog. If you log the change in
> 2.5.8 it is confusing because 2.6.0 and 2.6.1 don't have the fix.
> Instead, I log that the change occurred in 2.6.2 in the changelog, and
> then in the 2.5-fixes changelog I note that the fix was backported
> from 2.6.2
>
> now if you're making the same fix in trunk and 2.5-fixes, I would
> record the change in 2.5 in the changelog because there are no
> releases from trunk (2.6.0), so there will be no versions in between
> the 2.5.x version with the fix and 2.6.0 that do not have the fix.

This way of reporting changes makes sense to me. Most of all, I think its important that we all agree on one way to do it so it is consistent in the CHANGELOG.

--
David Beer | Senior Software Engineer
Adaptive Computing