[torquedev] changelog inconsistencies

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 22:44:14 MDT 2010

I've been working in 2.5-fixes and trunk and I have noticed some
changelog inconsistencies,  can some other developers help me clean
this up?

first,

in 2.5-fixes, this is in the 2.5.2 section:

  e - Allow the nodes file to use the syntax node[0-100] in the name to
      create identical nodes with names node0, node1, ..., node100.
      (also node[000-100] => node000, node001, ... node100)

in trunk, this is in the 2.5.1 section

  e - Allow the nodes file to use the syntax node[0-100] in the name to
      create identical nodes with names node0, node1, ..., node100.
      (also node[000-100] => node000, node001, ... node100)

so when was this change made, 2.5.1 or 2.5.2?

you'll see that a lot of changes listed in section 2.5.2 of the
changelog from 2.5-fixes are missing from the trunk changelog.  If
these changes have been merged into trunk then the changelog entry in
section 2.5.2 needs to get merged too.  If they haven't been merged,
we should get that does as soon as possible.  Fixes made in 2.5-fixes
should get made in trunk as soon as possible if they are applicable.

Also,  i've seen a change listed in the 2.5.2 section and then also
listed as being "merged from 2.5-fixes" in the 2.6.0 section in the
same changelog.  Since 2.6.0 hasn't been released, it is sufficient to
list the change as occurring in version 2.5.2 - it is assumed that
when 2.6.0 is released it will have this modification.  When a fix is
made in multiple versions at the same time I like to record the change
in the branch with the highest RELEASED version number, and then in
the branch with the lower version number I make a note of the
backport. Here is why:

Say you are making the same fix in versions 2.6.2 and 2.5.8, and you
want to record the change in the changelog.  If you log the change in
2.5.8 it is confusing because 2.6.0 and 2.6.1 don't have the fix.
Instead, I log that the change occurred in 2.6.2 in the changelog, and
then in the 2.5-fixes changelog I note that the fix was backported
from 2.6.2

now if you're making the same fix in trunk and 2.5-fixes, I would
record the change in 2.5 in the changelog because there are no
releases from trunk (2.6.0), so there will be no versions in between
the 2.5.x version with the fix and 2.6.0 that do not have the fix.