[torquedev] Disappearence of /dev/null

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Aug 5 11:58:24 MDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:50:40PM +0400, Eygene Ryabinkin alleged:
> I propose a simple fix for this: proxy all unlink calls via a new
> routine, pbs_unlink(), that will check if we are not deleting
> "/dev/null" (or alike) and will write a log message (preferrably,
> with the stack trace, looks like Linux supports this,
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Backtraces.html)
> that will be proxied to syslog and pbs_mom log.

There are very few unlink calls for user-specified filenames. I say we just
make sure we have fork()'d off a child that setuid()'s itself to the user.

If this is a problem for /dev/null, then it could be a problem for any file.

University of Southern California

Life is Good!