[torquedev] Fwd: [torqueusers] memory leak in 2.3.9 pbs_server

Glen Beane glen.beane at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 06:25:59 MDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jan Svec <svecj at fzu.cz>
Date: Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 7:36 AM
Subject: Re: [torqueusers] memory leak in 2.3.9 pbs_server
To: torqueusers at supercluster.org

Jan Svec wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> it seems, that there is a memory leak in 2.3.9 torque. After week or so
> (with several thousands jobs runnig every day) the pbs_server process
> dies with following messages  in syslog:
>
> Apr 13 06:25:02 torque pbs_server: LOG_CRITICAL::socket_to_handle,
> internal socket table is half-full at 578 (expected num_connections is
584)!
> Apr 13 06:25:02 torque pbs_server: LOG_CRITICAL::socket_to_handle,
> internal socket table is half-full at 579 (expected num_connections is
585)!
> Apr 13 06:25:02 torque pbs_server: LOG_ERROR::Cannot allocate memory
> (12) in DIS_tcp_setup, malloc failure
>
> The server is running on 32bit Scientific Linux 5.2 (RHEL clone) with
> maui 3.2.6p20 as scheduler.
> Anyone observed this behaviour too? Is 2.3.10 correcting any memory
> leaks? (I don't see such changes in changelog). Or is it safe to run 2.4
> branch?
>
> Thank You for any help
> Jan

Hi

nobody else? It is strange, because I tried to compile 2.3.9. at several
different systems and the problem occurs everywhere, the memory usage
continually grows until the memory is full and the server cannot
allocate more (it should be easily reproducible).
And does somebody know, what the "internal socket table is half-full"
error message means? Can I somehow tune size of this table? Does this
somehow affect performance of the torque server?

Thank You
Jan

--
Jan Svec